Pages

Friday 19 October 2012

Skatnetti Omelette..


A delicious alternative to a basic omelette kindly  submitted by Matt, a lovely supper dish that I can't wait to try, it may even be tonight's dinner if I can get hold of the ricotta.
I'll add my comments when I've made the dish but I can't see what's not to like. Now off to buy some cheese...

Ingredients:
900g or 2lb small potatoes.
1 tbsp olive oil.
1 large onion.
2 garlic cloves.
6 or so sun dried or vine tomatoes cut into small strips.
1x 400g artichoke hearts, drained and halved (definitely optional!)
250g/9 oz ricotta cheese.
4 large beaten eggs.
2 tbsp milk.
50g parmesan cheese.
3 tbsp chopped thyme.
Step 1. Peel potatoes and cut into thin slices, then place in a bowl of cold water to prevent turning brown.
2. Bring large pan of water to the boil + add potato slices and simmer for 5-6 mins until tender.
3. heat oil in large pan or skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan and cook stirring every now and then for max 3-5 mins.
4. Add sun-dried (or alternative) tomatoes and cook for further 2 mins.
5. Place potatoes at the bottom of a deep, ovenproof dish. Top with layer of onion mix, (artichokes) and ricotta. Then repeat layers in same order ending with a potato top.
6. Beat eggs and milk + half of the parmesan, add thyme + salt + pepper to taste and pour over the potatoes.
7. Top it off with the rest of the parmesan and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 mins at 190 degrees C or until golden brown. 
Serve and then get full up!!!


By Matt Ling... 


I promised I'd make it, wow it was tasty but I had to make it difficult for myself. Despite visiting 3 supermarkets I failed to get hold of ricotta. What does one do at times of culinary crisis, I turned to the internet and made my own. 
Really simple too, milk, salt and lemon juice. That's it, oh okay you do need a thermometer but I'd made this in 20 minutes, it was very mild but as it was being used in cooking it worked perfectly.

Matt, here's my finished dish, loved the layered potato and I did add some pancetta as you suggested.




3 comments:

Matty said...

I usually add pancetta instead of artichokes, delicious!

Anonymous said...

Can't say enough about this website – its alot better than mine.

gastronauts-northampton said...

How lovely of you to say so. We are really touched and just enjoy writing it. Thanks