Pages

Thursday 4 October 2012



Gluten Free Bread Part 2

Today my brown rice flour and ground almonds arrived meaning I now have all I need to continue my experiment into gluten free bread-making following the recipe provided by ‘friend’s dad’. Ever the optimist I want this to work. I do need the occasional bread fix as I was tempted yesterday to rip the white crusty roll out of my partner’s hands that he was using to soak up the gravy from the stew in our last post.

Ingredients mixed, it does look a bit cakey but stickier it did require some rough handling to force it into the newly acquired loaf tin. Proving time is 1 ½ hours so enough time to nip off to the gym. Back soon folks.

There has been little in the way of rising but I have learned with previous gluten free attempts at baking this is not unusual so I optimistically put the mix in the oven, set the timer for the allotted 30 minutes and wait.






So for the results. The loaf itself is not the prettiest I’ve ever seen but looks aren’t the name of this game, its all about the taste and texture and a close resemblence to the real thing. The loaf is very dense, oh yes, another cake like loaf but one that smells of ground almonds. The taste does not improve my mood, there is no eureka moment here, too cakey, taste non descript and bland. I tried the usual toasting test but it just burnt the crust. Sorry 'friend's dad', this one's not for me.
I fear this one may be put out for the birds but my mission will continue...

If anyone else has a recipe for gluten free bread please let us know through the comments section


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sent you some alt bread recipes, maybe they will be okay?

Unknown said...

Hope you find some bread recipes. Maybe soda bread will work?

Anonymous said...

found the following site that has a few different recipes for gluten free bread (and other assorted items) thought it might be of interest :)
http://www.icedgembakes.co.uk/gluten-free-and-dairy-free-baking-recipes/