This is a wonderful and simple recipe for brunch and it contains all the necessary ingredients to help ease the worst of hangovers. You can use up many odds and ends from the fridge as it’s easy to adapt and a great way to use up leftovers. We used 4 cheeses which sounds a little extravagant but you only need a little of each so be creative and tell us what worked well for you.
Ingredients- Serves 3-4
6 medium eggs
4 rashers of smoked bacon
Handful of new potatoes, sliced thinly and boiled until cooked through
1 red/orange pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 birds eye chilli, finely chopped
25g of each cheese, we used feta, parmesan, mature cheddar and goats cheese
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil leaves
A little oil
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and lightly oil an oven-proof dish.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and when hot fry off the bacon until crispy. Remove. In the same oil fry the onion and pepper for a few minutes until they soften, then add garlic and chilli. Cook for a further 2 minutes, set aside to cool.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk lightly. Add 3 tablespoons of cold water and season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooled bacon, potatoes and the onion and pepper mix. Stir gently to mix.
- Add the cheeses and mix again, pour the mix into the oven-proof dish and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, scatter with a few basil leaves and serve with a green salad, Serve hot or cold.