Pages

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Fruity and Nutty Granola


The Breakfast of Champions

I’m not great at eating breakfast, I never have been able to get into that routine, similar food every morning bores me and I much prefer a coffee or three to get myself out of the door. I know it’s not right but I work variable hours so don’t really get into a morning routine. Okay, I’ve just reeled off a few excuses but my partner and I really do need to start the day with more than a coffee.

One of my favourite breakfasts is a fruity nutty granola, homemade of course it’s so easy and there are endless variations of dried fruit, spices and nuts to ring the changes. I’m okay to eat oats so here’s the recipe. It makes enough for about 20 servings and I serve this over thick natural Greek yoghurt or mix it into my favourite fruit flavoured yoghurt so I don’t get bored. Store in an airtight container and it’ll last about 2 weeks.

It's a lot less sweet than shop bought varieties so you can up the honey if you like a sweeter taste and cost per serving is about £0.10 Here’s my basic recipe but add or take away ingredients as you wish.





Ingredients

300g rolled porridge oats
50g blanched peanuts
30g flaked almonds
100g butter
3 tbsp honey
50g sultanas
50g raisins
30g dried strawberries, cranberries
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
Pinch of grated nutmeg


Method

  • Mix all the dried ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Melt butter and honey together in a saucepan or in the microwave. Add to dried ingredients and mix well.
  • Place on a shallow baking tray and put in an oven preheated to 140 degrees for 30 minutes. Half way through this time, mix the granola around the tray to prevent the oats browning too much. Once cooked, leave to cool before placing in a large airtight container.

No comments: