Pages

Sunday 30 December 2012


Happy New Year... and bring on January, I’m ready!


Having survived the Christmas feasting that included cooking my first goose, a bird so rich and delicious I feel it may feature for years to come at our house over the more usual turkey, I am left with a fridge full of cheese and a wide array of goodies approaching their use-by date and a stomach groaning for healthy interesting dishes.

My friends and family gifted me some amazing foodie presents, including a hamper of Mexican ingredients that are sure to feature in future recipes, including an unusual ingredient which if used too generously is poisonous but can apparently counteract the effects of eating too many beans. If all goes quiet on the blog front in the next few weeks you’ll know I’ve overdone it.

I also got a funky new camera so bear with me, when I learn how to use it, I hope the photography will improve somewhat.

So what’s to come in the next few weeks. In January the emphasis will be on frugal feasts as
with the festivities dwindling, hangover mostly fading and the inevitable empty-wallet feeling that the long month routinely brings, we hope to offer a little help, good food with main ingredients costed to feed four for under a fiver but lacking none of the taste and warmth that is so needed as the cold seeps through the layers of clothes and deep into the bones.

From warming filling soups, rich casseroles and vegetable based dishes to nod our heads towards a healthier 2013 I hope you find something to tempt you into the kitchen, after all beside the cooker is often the warmest place to be.

The exceptions to our costings are largely seasonings and spices but we will use products reduced or on special in supermarkets hence if replicated they may come a little over our £5 budget.

See you all soon

No comments: