Pages

Thursday 8 November 2012

Albondigas aka Mexican Meatballs



Albondigas (AKA) Mexican Meatballs in a Chipotle and Tomato Sauce




I tweeted advanced warning that some fiery recipes may be posted soon due to the arrival of two large packages of chipotle chillies from the postman. They are still quite difficult to get hold of in local supermarkets, I have stumbled across them occasionally but as my addiction to these hot smoky delights grow, I need a steady and more reliable supply that the internet provides.


Without meaning to bang on about these particular chillies, they are pretty integral to this dish. I have, when the need has arisen, made the sauce with alternatives but it never quite lives up to the smoky flavour, heat and rich earthiness that the chipotle adds to it. Feel free to reduce the quantity if you like or be brave and go for it. I'd give this a medium heat rating but I have built up a tolerance


This recipe makes enough for 4 hungry people but I’ve made this for parties of 10 or more, it’s quite time-consuming but well worth the effort. Try it and let me know what you think.


Ingredients

For the meatballs
300g lean beef mince
300g pork mince
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
50g breadcrumbs
1 egg
Oil to fry meatballs
Salt and pepper
Mixture made 28 meatballs, they may look like nothing special now, but read on.


For the sauce
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 soaked chipotle chillies, roughly chopped, seeds removed
¼ pint beef stock
¼ pint red wine
1 tin chopped tomatoes
100ml sieved passata
Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley to serve


Method

  • Soak chipotle chillies in hand hot water for about 20 minutes until softened. Retain soaking water.
  • Fry off finely chopped onion with 1 bay leaf until softened, remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
  • Once the onions are cool, mix beef, pork, onion, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and egg in a large bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave to firm up in the fridge for an hour.
  • Roll small balls of the mixture and fry gently in batches in sunflower oil until browned. See picture above.
  • Set aside while making the sauce.
  • In a clean large frying pan with a lid, saute the onion and garlic until softened but not brown. Add chopped chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
  • Add beef stock, red wine, tinned tomatoes, passata and soaking water from the chillies and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
  • Carefully blitz the sauce in a blender until smooth (I say carefully as I have sprayed my kitchen with chipotle sauce on more than one occasion).
  • Return to pan and simmer until reduced and thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Gently add the meatballs, without stirring leave on low heat until cooked through, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
  • Serve with rice or bread to soak up the delicious sauce.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi

Been lurking here for a while :~) I was wondering where you got the chipotie peppars from?

Thanks
Pat

gastronauts-northampton said...

Hi Pat
I get my chipotles online as they can be hard to find in many supermarkets. Try www.chillipepperpete.com, they stock a wide range and I find them great value.
Let me know what you think of the recipe

Unknown said...

Hi

Just ordered the chipotie and could not resist the ancho or the mexican oregano. Will let you know how I get on with the recipe.

Regards
Pat

gastronauts-northampton said...

Excellent.
I received a Mexican hamper with lots of different chillies and cactus etc. I will be trying them over the next few weeks so keep checking back. I warn you though, chipotles are addictive and you will end up putting them in everything.
If you like this kind of thing, I'll be posting habanero and goats cheese filled burgers in a day or so. They too are delicious

Unknown said...

Chillies arrived on Friday and we had the meatballs last night. Made it as the recipe so have some leftovers which I presume I can freeze? Any which way the meal was goooood :~) the sauce is addictive ! such a rich and complex flavour with a nice background heat that did not overpower. This recipe is a keeper, thank you :~)

Pat

gastronauts-northampton said...

Hi Pat

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and yes you can freeze the leftovers. It is one of my all time favourite dishes. Thanks so much for your lovely comments